Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Gravy Boat

So, yesterday, I found out that I do not have a gravy boat. Well, not me, per se, but we as in my family. There is not a single gravy boat in my house. As I put hot water in my Maggi noodles, wishing I had Nissin instead, I realised that I would never be able to bring people over for dinner. Not dates or anything, as I’m terrified of people, but friends. My gay friend, Aussie, is supposed to come over after he gets back from his holidays all over the place. I was planning on making a nice big dinner or something, well… big for two, so we could gossip, talk about out holidays and giggle about boys. Now how am I supposed to have him over without a gravy boat? Is going to be a disaster. Or I could just cook lamb, beef or pork, which do not require gravy. But then the issue of getting either mint sauce, apple sauce or whatever goes with beef, is what I’m to face next. Aussie took Home Economics so he might be picky about accompanying sauces.
So I’m sitting in front of Sex In The City, with my noodles, wanting Nissin, and talking about my MSG addiction. I am addicted to it. I add soy sauce to my noodles, when sad I get chow mien from Joji’s, one of the best Chinese places in Suva, and when asked what I want to a quick takeout dinner, Chinese food always comes to mind. I always think about buying some myself when walking around the supermarket looking for soy sauce. I turn my head and think, “how exactly do I use this stuff?” I’ve never used MSG before, and I don’t think I want to use it without being very sure.
As you, reader, may have noticed, I like cooking. I make dinner a lot, I like to. It’s fun and relaxing. When I lived with my dad, I hardly cooked anything because it’s what dad did. One of the things I knew how to cook was custard. One holiday period, I had custard nearly everyday for breakfast. I knew custard, and how to make Maggi noodles slightly stir fried with tomato sauce. Crispy noodles covered in sauce. It was really tasty if I do say so myself. When I moved in with my mother, she taught me the basics; meat takes longer than vegetables, sauces are important, what tastes go with what meats, etc. So I learnt and now I’m here, at the point where cooking is something I like doing. I even made new year’s breakfast for some friends who stayed over the night. It was only French toast, but I felt happy after it. So there.
That’s it for now. I'm just posting a picture of magical green juice that is very nice. That is all. Now. That's it.

No comments: