Saturday, February 20, 2010

Fiji English

Its funny trying to work out what people are saying sometimes. It may be said that English is a silly language, as it gets all its words from somewhere else, but here its very silly. Key phrase used when trying to look at a cute guy is "side mada that fullah over there". First of all, to "side" someone is to look at them from the corner of your eye sort of thing. "mada" is fijian, im sure sure exactly what it means, cept from the fact that it adds to the wonderfulness. "fullah" is basically "fellow" meaning guy, and over there... y'all get the picture. So the basic equivalent is "look at that guy". is funny. We add fijian, or hindi, depending on where you are and who you interact with. I say we despite the fact that i never grew up speaking like that. I grew up in a household where proper english stood, my dad was from England. I learnt about words by deduction. In class2, when i got my first list of vocabulary to learn, i asked my dad where the dictionary was and he wouldnt give it to me. he made me sit down and try to figure out what part of speech the word was and what the definition would be. Only if i was really stuck would he let me use a dictionary. We'd start with using the word in a sentence, then i'd have to explain it. It was fun. In english yesterday, some one asked what "bung" meant. for some reason i knew. i couldnt remember where i'd heard it from originally but it might have been with my dad. "bung" means broken basically. for example, youve got a bung leg or a bung eye or your computers gone bung. or something. idk.
i'd also like to add that i like google docs. since microsoft works is an oxymoron, and doesnt work, and since all i have is a bung pc (it has virus of some kind that is lame. it is also very old) and my netbook, ive turned to google docs to do IT homework. I had to do some lame excel stuff, but now is nearly done and im very proud of myself TYVM. :)
Now i think i'll stop with the blogs since am supposed to be working, but am supervising instead :D cuz im awesomely senior at work and stuff like that.

No comments: