Monday, September 28, 2009

Jackson Pollock had a Good Idea












So, I'm going to flex my art brain and say how i feel about abstract art. I dislike the large concepts "behind" abstract art. I was told that abstract expressionism was about the motion behind the painting. So i further deducted that is was about motion more than emotion. The release of emotion through motion.
Maybe sometimes these emotions aren't meant to be discovered. Maybe it's safer not to have a painting that you know everything about; how the artist felt, what they wanted to show, but rather take your own opinion about the piece rather than what they tried to do.
The over analyzing also somewhat irritates me. The "symbolism" and the like all seem to overdo the concept behind a pretty picture. The making of a horrible piece into something beautiful doesn't upset me as much i suppose, because it's all about the emotion.
And that, in short is the aspect of being human that i like; you can't make a robot create art. Programming doesn't count because that isn't art. That's just technology.

No comments: